Friday, April 17, 2009

Living in unity

Psalm 133


Our culture thrives on conflict. Unity may be good and pleasant, but it doesn't sell...
Yesterday I went to hear Michael Venyah of Soulwinners as he proclaimed a "gospel" of perfection, claiming that true Christians do not sin. He told us in no uncertain terms that Catholics, smokers, and countless other groups were all marching straight to Hell. It was not a very winning speech.


But I found Michael sincere. I had been told that he rants and yells at passersby. I didn't see this at all - he certainly speaks clearly and with volume, but what does one expect from an outdoor unamplified speaker? In contrast, his audience was quite happy to yell at him, tease him, make fun of him, and smoke in his face. He simply continued with his message, answering questions when he could and ignoring the ridicule.


Michael was one of a team, and when he took a break I stepped aside to talk with him. He was friendly and polite. He noted I was a United Methodist clergy, and discussed Wesley with me. We shared our different understandings of Christian perfection, and although it was clear that neither of us were likely to change our minds, Michael seemed honestly interested in what I had to say about Wesley. I said early in the conversation that I sin and so was going to hell by his standards, but did not believe that myself; he was quite willing to converse with me on that basis without trying to convert me further. How good and pleasant it is when kindred live together in unity - even when one of them doesn't recognize the kinship!


I think Michael's understanding of sin and perfection is thoroughly mistaken. His approach to "soul-winning" is not winning many souls, and I fear he is setting himself and his followers up for great disappointment and, quite possibly, great hypocrisy. I also think he loves God and loves people, and is doing his best to save them from damnation. I hope he keeps on talking - and that some people who disagree with him take the time to get to know him instead of simply debating.

No comments:

Post a Comment